District 7 Planning Council represents the neighborhoods of East Midway, Frogtown, Mt Airy and Capitol Heights. It is bordered by Lexington Ave-35E, University Ave and the Burlington-Northern Santa Fe Railroad Tracks.
The exact origins of the name Frogtown are difficult to pin down. But this much is certain: the moniker was derived from the prevalence of frogs in what was originally a swampy, sparsely populated section of town.
University Avenue has long been the key commercial hub of the neighborhood. In 1890 the first inter-city street car line was introduced on University Avenue linking St. Paul and Minneapolis. Other street car lines operated on Thomas Avenue, Dale Street, Lexington Parkway and Rice Street.
In the 1960s, the Rondo neighborhood was demolished in order to make way for Interstate 94. Many families from the traditionally African American neighborhood then migrated northward into Frogtown. The area has always been a haven for immigrants, in part because of the relatively inexpensive housing stock. In the 19th century, that mostly meant newcomers of German, Irish or Scandinavian descent. But over the last three decades, the neighborhood has been strongly influenced by new waves of immigrants, particularly of Hmong, Latino and Somali heritage. University Avenue is now dotted with pho noodle shops and Halal meat markets. A Hmong-American farmer's market operates in the parking lot of the UniDale Shopping Center on weekends
Frogtown is among the most diverse neighborhoods in St. Paul. According to the 2000 census, nearly 40 percent of Frogtown residents are of Asian descent, with white and black residents each accounting for about a quarter of the area's population. In addition, more than 20 percent of area residents were born outside of the United States.
Director: Caty Royce, firstname.lastname@example.org
For Central Corridor Light Rail concerns in your district planning area contact DCC Representative: Karen Inman, email@example.com
Summit-University Planning council represents the neighborhoods of Rondo, Frogtown, between Summit Avenue and University Ave, stretching from Lexington Parkway to Marion. Summit-U serves the over 18,000 residents within District 8.
District 8, known as Summit-University, is bounded roughly on the north by University Avenue, on the east by Marion Street to Interstate 94, on the south by John Ireland Boulevard and Summit Avenue, and on the west by Lexington Parkway. The district also includes those buildings on the north side of Irvine Street located immediately below Summit Avenue, east of Ramsey Street. Summit-University is primarily a residential neighborhood with many architecturally and historically significant houses. It also contains two major commercial streets, University and Selby Avenues. Several commercial clusters are also located at major intersections, and there are numerous churches and schools in the area. In general, it was found that the majority of the oldest houses are located in the southeast corner of the district. The portion of the district located north of Interstate 94 retains only a few architecturally and historically significant buildings, largely because of large-scale demolition projects undertaken as part of urban renewal in the 1960's.
-courtesy of Ramsey County Historical Society, to view the full Summit-University Neighborhood Profile click here.
Interm Executive Director: Jens Werner, firstname.lastname@example.org
For Central Corridor Light Rail concerns in your district planning area contact DCC Representative: DCC Chair, Steve Wilson, Stephen.A.Wilson@xcelenergy.com
District 11 Planning council represents the Hamline Midway neighborhood bounded by University Avenue on the South, Pierce Butler Route on the North, Lexington Avenue on the East, and Transfer Road on the West.
District 11, known as Hamline-Midway, is bounded by the Pierce Butler Route on the north, Lexington Parkway on the east, University Avenue on the south, and the railroad tracks just west of Transfer Road on the west. Much of Hamline-Midway is residential in character yet it has a significant number of light industry, retail and wholesale businesses, particularly along the major streets such as University, Snelling, and Hamline Avenues. In addition to Hamline University, the area includes several public and private elementary schools and a handful of neighborhood parks.
The Hamline-Midway area was once a wide stretch of prairie between the two small towns of St. Paul and St. Anthony (later incorporated into Minneapolis). Several early roads crossed the area, including the old military route which is now Snelling Avenue. Farmers settled there in the 1850's at the same time that several real estate speculators platted lots which were not developed for many years. Although the first railroad in the state, which opened in 1862, traveled through the Midway area, it did little to attract settlers. By contrast, the Minnesota Transfer Railroad, organized in 1883 was a major impetus to the industrial and commercial development of the region. The Minnesota Transfer Railroad was associated with a large stockyard located at the present site of the Amtrak Depot in Industrial Park. The railway transported freight and livestock between the several railroad lines running through the area. The railroad bridge located west of the transfer railroad building is part of the track system still in use. Another impetus to commercial and residential settlement was the completion in 1890 of the University Avenue streetcar line, the first line to connect the Minneapolis and St. Paul track systems. Streetcar lines were later built along parts of Lexington, Thomas, Hamline and Minnehaha Avenues, and a major streetcar servicing station was erected near Hamline-Midway on the recently demolished Metro Transit Commission bus garage on Snelling Avenue, just north of Interstate Highway 94.
-courtesy of Ramsey County Historical Society, to view the complete Hamline-Midway Neighborhood Profile click here.
Executive Director: Michael Jon Olson, email@example.com
For Central Corridor Light Rail concerns in your district planning area contact DCC Representative: Steve Samuelson, firstname.lastname@example.org
District 12 Planning Council represents the St. Anthony Park neighborhoods bordering the city of Laurderdale on the north, the Minnesota State Fair grounds on the east, and Southeast Minneapolis on the west, and Highway 94 on the south.
Settlement of the St. Anthony Park area began around the year 1850. Before that, the region had been a rolling, wooded wilderness crossed by several trails used by Native Americans and pioneers. Much of the land in St. Anthony Park was first owned by William R. Marshall, who was Governor of Minnesota with the intention of developing a suburban community. In 1873, Horace S. Cleveland designed a plan for a suburban addition to St. Paul and Minneapolis of large, country estates and winding streets that followed the topography of the area. Today, the size of the lots is considerable smaller than in Cleveland's design, but the hills and curving streets remain one of the unique features of St. Anthony Park.
Executive Director: Suyapa Miranda
Contact: 651-649-5992 or email@example.com
For Central Corridor Light Rail concerns in your district planning area contact DCC Representative: John Seppanen, firstname.lastname@example.org
District 13 Planning Council represents the Merriam Park, Snelling Hamline, Lexington-Hamline and Desnoyer Park neighborhoods, stretching north-south from University Avenue to Summit Avenue, and east-west from Lexington Parkway to the Mississippi River. In 2007, the neighborhoods joined together to form the Union Park District Council, but Lexington-Hamline and Desnoyer Park still retain their own neighborhood associations as well.
In addition to a sizeable residential section south of Interstate 94, District 13 includes a large part of the Midway commercial and industrial area along University Avenue. Also on the northern edge of the district next to the future Fairview light rail station is Iris Park, a small residential neighborhood built around Lake Iris (really just a small pond). Many of the houses in Union Park were built in the 1880s and 90s or early 1900s as part of a commuter suburb, midway between Minneapolis and Saint Paul.
One of the first routes through present day District 13, in the 1840s, was the Red River Ox Cart Trail which ran roughly along what is now St. Anthony Avenue and Interstate 94. In 1880 the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad built the "Short Line" along the same route, linking Minneapolis and St. Paul. Several major streetcar lines were added in the 1890's, running along University, Rondo (which was largely obliterated by the construction of Interstate 94), Snelling, Prior, and Selby Avenues.
Executive Director: Julie Reiter
For Central Corridor Light Rail concerns in your district planning area contact DCC Representative: Anne White, email@example.com
District 14 Planning Council represents the Macalester-Groveland neighborhoods, stretching north-south from Summit Avenue to Randolph Avenue, and west-east from the Mississippi River to Ayd Mill Road.
When Minnesota became a state in 1858, the area now known as Macalester-Groveland was part of the Fort Snelling military reserve. This area, known as Reserve Township, was annexed by the City of Saint Paul in 1887.
The Macalester-Groveland neighborhood is home to several post-secondary institutions, many of which date back to before a majority of the area was settled. In 1884, Macalaster College moved to its present site at Grand and Snelling Avenues. The College of St. Thomas (now known as the University of St. Thomas ) was established in 1885 and the St. Paul Seminary was built upon its present Summit Avenue location in the early 1894.
During the late 1880s and early 1890s, a unique residential area was developed immediately to the west of Macalester College. This area, known as "Tangletown", has numerous winding streets and an eclectic mix of architecture. During the same period, a farm near the present intersection of Randolph and Lexington Avenues was developed into homes. In 1890, the first electric streetcar line was built in Saint Paul. This streetcar line helped to link the Macalester-Groveland neighborhood with downtown Saint Paul. The result of this connection was a significant amount of commercial and residential development along the Randolph and Snelling streetcar lines. A majority of homes in the Macalester-Groveland area date back to the era between 1915 and the late 1920s, when streetcar use was in its prime. -Macalaster-Groveland website
Executive Director: Liz Boyer
Contact: 651-695-4000, firstname.lastname@example.org
For Central Corridor Light Rail concerns in your district planning area contact DCC Representative: Jack Fei, email@example.com
Capitol River- Saint Paul District 17 Planning Council
District 17 Planning Council represents the neighborhoods within Downtown Saint Paul boundary.
Executive Director: Paul Bengtson, firstname.lastname@example.org
For Central Corridor Light Rail concerns in your district planning area contact DCC Representative: Tim Griffin, email@example.com
Marcy Holmes Neighborhood Association represents neighborhoods bordering the east bank of the Mississippi River, bounded on the west by the East Hennepin/Central Avenue commercial district and on the East by the of Minnesota. Marcy-Holmes neighborhood, on the east bank of the Mississippi River, is named for William L. Marcy, an American statesman and secretary of state born in 1786 and Oliver Wendell Holmes, an American poet, essayist and novelist born in 1819. The neighborhood lies across the Mississippi River from downtown. The University of Minnesota forms its east boundary, and the west border of the neighborhood is the East Hennepin/Central Avenue commercial area. Marcy Holmes is the oldest neighborhood in Minneapolis, including the first area that was populated, following European settlement. The original Pillsbury milling and other milling operations are located in the neighborhood along with oldest residences.
Marcy-Holmes is home to Dinkytown, which includes many businesses tailored to the nearby University of Minnesota. The neighborhood also provides housing to many students attending the University of Minnesota.
Executive Director: Melissa Bean, firstname.lastname@example.org
For Central Corridor Light Rail concerns in your district planning area contact DCC Representative: Doug Carlson, email@example.com
Prospect Park-East River Road Improvement Association represents the Minneapolis Prospect Park East River Road neighborhood stretching north-south from the Burlington Northern railroad tracks and Southeast Minneapolis industrial area to Mississippi River, and west-east from the University of Minnesota to Minneapolis/St.Paul border. PPERRIA is the oldest neighborhood association in Minneapolis, born out of opposition to a proposed open pit gravel mine at Tower Hill and organized in 1901. PPERRIA is the most active neighborhood organization in the Twin Cities. Monthly meetings resemble town meetings with attendance between 20 and 55 people.
The neighborhood was platted in 1885 as the first "suburb" of Minneapolis by developer Louis Menage and was later connected to the city by a streetcar line. The neighborhood’s steep hills, curving tree-lined streets where no two homes are alike, the Witch’s Hat water tower, and two community centers - Luxton Park and Pratt school - all give it a strong sense of place. Nearby shopping, recreation, cultural events, and frequent community events add to the urban-village community feel of Prospect Park.
Contact: Jessica Buchberger, PPERRIAstaff@gmail.com
For Central Corridor Light Rail concerns in your district planning area contact DCC Representative: Phil Anderson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Southeast Como Improvement Association represents the Como Neighborhood of Southeast Minneapolis, stretching north-south from Mid-City Industrial Area to the Southeast Industrial area, and west-east from Interstate 35W and the Burlington Northern Mainline to the Minneapolis/St.Paul border near Highway 280.
The high-traffic business roads, industry, abandoned industrial sites, and active railroads that surround Como contrast sharply with the residential character of the neighborhood. The housing stock consists of modest early 20th-century bungalows and Victorian and twenties-era homes mixed with a scattering of newer duplexes and single family homes. Some areas (e.g. along Como, 15th and Hennepin Avenues) have post-60's two-story walk-up apartment buildings. Within Como are the Heritage Technical and Science Academy and Tanaka Academy, both housed in the former Tuttle Elementary School building, the large public Van Cleve Park, a new University child care center, Como Student Community Cooperative (CSCC) housing, Project for Pride in Living located at the former Bunge grain elevators and Talmage Green. Commercial activity is focused on Como and East Hennepin Avenues. The neighborhood is served by two convenience grocery stores (including one with a laundromat) and a number of small service businesses, including a hardware store, a barber, a dentist, two coffee houses, numerous bar/restaurants, a diner, a small business incubator, several arts focused studios, three printers, a car parts store, several auto repair garages, two gas stations and the multitude of industrial operations in the SEMI and Mid-City Industrial areas. Como is home to two churches and a mosque. Como is also home to the Green Village, which is based on core principles related to sustainability (comogreenvillage.info).